It’s been a hot discussion for quite a long time now that the era of cable TV services is dying and many people are curious if that’s true or not. Well, we all have seen a substantial decrease in the number of TV subscribers but still, there are millions of people, who have cable TV services and they are happy with what they have.
The reason for the new trend of cord-cutting and why we see a substantial decrease in the number of cable TV subscribers is the streaming services. There are many low-cost streaming platforms, which are offering services with many features but just like any other service, streaming services have their own pros and cons.
There are many features of cable TV services, which you don’t get with the streaming service and that is the reason why we still see a considerable number of people using cable TV services who are not planning to cut their cord anytime soon.
The main reason why people prefer to keep cable TV services, like WOW is because of the amazing channel lineup. You get access to all the local, sports, news, and movies channels. The variety you get with the cable TV service is something, which you can never get with the streaming service. For instance, if you check Suddenlink cable packages, you will be amazed to find out that even the basic TV package comes with a channel lineup of more than 225 channels at an economic cost.
With the streaming service, if you want variety, you will have to get a subscription to multiple streaming platforms but with the TV services, you can get any plan that suits your needs and budget. If in the future, you want to make any changes, you can always do that. There are no restrictions.
Most of the TV subscribers are happy with the amazing quality content that they get with their TV services. However, if you are not sure, if you should keep your TV services or not, you can check the pros and cons of both TV and streaming services and see what suits you the most. In this topic, we will discuss the pros and cons of the TV service, which will surely help you out in making the decision of either keeping the services or cutting the cord.
Pros of Cable TV services
The following are the pros of cable TV services:
- With cable TV services, you get the best collection of channels. The cable companies offer multiple cable TV plans with different channel lineups and features. You can choose a package that you find the best. For instance, if you are into movies, you can choose a plan that comes with local regular channels and then you can get a movie tier, which is usually offered by every cable TV company.
- You don’t get the live sports content with the streaming service. However, with the cable TV service, you get access to the best live sports channels. If you are a sports freak, then you will have to get the TV services, or else you will miss your favorite live games. Sports fans can understand the excitement of watching a game live.
With the streaming service, you might get access to the highlights of the game, but watching the game live gives you pleasure, which is on another level.
- If you are using a streaming service, you will be getting access to very limited content offered by the streaming platform. If you want to get access to more content, you will have to get a subscription to the other streaming platforms as well which will cost you a lot. You won’t be able to get on-demand content with the streaming service.
However, if you have cable TV services, you will be getting access to thousands of on-demand content. The best part is that, with the cable TV service, you can even order pay-per-view events such as UFC fights, or if you are into movies, you can order that as well.
- For the cable services, you don’t need to have an internet connection, unlike the streaming services. If you don’t have a reliable and high-speed internet connection, you won’t be able to do streaming. A reliable and high-speed internet connection will cost you good bucks. For those who are living in a rural area, it’s a real concern. Even if you get streaming services, you will face multiple issues regarding the speeds because you don’t usually get reliable internet connections in rural areas.
- If you already have cable TV services and you want to get internet services, you can get a bundle plan that includes both cable TV services and internet services and can get amazing discounts on both of them. On top of these discounts, you will be getting extra features as well which you usually don’t get with the standalone service.
Cons of Cable TV services
The following are the disadvantages of cable TV services:
Getting cable TV service will cost you a good amount of money because it won’t be the service charge alone that you will be paying. There will be some extra charges on top of the service charge, which you will have to pay like broadcast fees, taxes, and some surcharges.
The equipment rental is a big hassle. The cable boxes cost a good amount of money unless you have a smart TV. If you have a smart TV then you can get the TV services without the cable box by logging in to the streaming app given to you by your service provider. If you don’t have a smart TV and for instance, you have more than one television on which you want the cable service, you will have to get a separate cable box for each television and that will cost you a good amount of money.
You will have to stick to one place where the cable cord is installed in order to watch TV. With the streaming service, you can stream wherever and whenever you want.
Summing it up
If cost is not your concern and you are happy with your TV services then there is no need to cut your cord and switch to a streaming service. Nevertheless, if you are worried about the prices and you think that a streaming service is a better option for you, then get a subscription to a streaming platform for a month and see if that suits you. This will help you out gradually in making the right decision.