Unlocking the Bootloader isn’t a tough task to do. However, if not done properly, one might end up bricking his device. Want to unlock the Bootloader of OnePlus 5T? You are at the right place. This guide has been tested on multiple OnePlus 5T devices and works for all OnePlus 5T variants. In fact, the steps can also be followed for unlocking the bootloader of any other OnePlus device. Let’s begin with the steps.
The unlocking process will delete the data stored on your device, so it’s good to take the backup of the data if you have some important items stored on your device. It’s not compulsory, you can avoid taking the backup if the data on your device isn’t important to you. Also, in case you mess up with the commands, you might end up bricking your device or other damage.
We’d like to inform that Neither Droidmen nor the author will be responsible for any damage that might occur while or after following the steps.
- Windows PC.
- Download and Install ADB and Fastboot on your PC (Windows)
- OnePlus 5T (Above 80% charge)
- Original USB Type-C cable.
Steps to Unlock the Bootloader of the OnePlus 5T
- Enable Developer Options on your OnePlus 5T by going to Settings > About Phone > Build Number and tap it 7 times.
- Go to Developer Options > USB Debugging > Enable it.
- Go to Developer Options > OEM Unlocking > Enable it.
- Connect the device to your Windows PC and type “adb devices” in the command prompt. If you see your device as a reply to the command in the command prompt. Then continue, else, re-install the ADB drivers or change the USB cable.
- Type “adb reboot bootloader” in the command prompt. You’ll see a prompt on your OnePlus 5T, Just give permission to it by allowing it. Your device will reboot into fastboot mode or bootloader mode.
- Type the command “fastboot devices” and you’ll be able to see your device as a response to the command.
- Type “fastboot oem unlock” and the unlocking process will begin. If the command executes successfully you’ll have a OnePlus 5T with an unlocked bootloader.
You’ve successfully unlocked the bootloader of the OnePlus 5T. You can now install a custom recovery such as TWRP recovery and root your OnePlus 5T. You can also flash custom ROMs and custom kernels (root required.) As we all know, an unlocked bootloader is the first step towards customization.