MIUI is Xiaomi’s custom UI, and it has been one of the most popular custom UIs in the world of smartphone technology. There have been various hushed rumors over the past few days, but today, Xiaomi has confirmed that the MIUI 8.2 Global Stable ROM is now out officially. The OTA update for this ROM will be available starting today via the Updater app.
What’s New in MIUI 8.2 Global Stable ROM:
With this gen-next OS update rolling out for the Xiaomi smartphones, the company has released a complete changelog detailing all the changes. Let us look at the improvements and updates that have come out with the MIUI 8.2 Global Stable ROM update –
Changes to the Lock Screen, Status Bar and Notification Bar:
- Users can now swipe to delete notifications from the lockscreen.
- UI Adjustment for toggles has been introduced with this update.
- The much-demanded feature of adding the battery saver toggle to the notifications shade has finally been introduced with this update to the MIUI.
- Icons for USB charging and switching keyboards have been changed in this update.
- When you use the phone on the DND mode, floating notifications will no longer appear, giving you a complete, distraction-free usage!
- The Lock Screen layout has been optimized with this update.
- A number of fixes too, have been introduced –
- Notification shade issues that bothered the users during the incoming call floating notifications have been fixed.
- Some users had also complained that the Wi-Fi page was causing the device to freeze when it was opened for the first time. However, that has been fixed in the MIUI 8.2 Global Stable update.
- Users had also complained of opacity issues with third-party themes. That too has been resolved. Landscape mode on third-party themes too, was quite problematic in the past, and has been resolved.
- Another common problem was that the first notification was ‘unswipeable’. However, that has been fixed in this update.
Updates to the Home Screen:
- New and improved home-screen settings have been added to the settings menu following this MIUI 8.2 Global Stable ROM update.
- Adjustments have been made in the animation of the launcher, and a couple of display related tweaks have been made which make the visibility better.
With the MIUI 8.2 Global Stable update, Xiaomi has also introduced ‘VirusScan’ – which scans externally installed APKs (which are not installed via the Play Store) to be scanned for any potential threats. This is quite a good move when it comes to user security, and is much appreciated!
List of Eligible Phones for the MIUI 8.2 Global Stable ROM:
Devices eligible for immediate update:
- Xiaomi Mi Max
- Xiaomi Mi Max Prime
- Xiaomi Mi 4i
- Xiaomi Mi 3
- Xiaomi Mi 4
- Xiaomi Mi Note
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4G
Devices which will get the update after 20th February:
- Xiaomi Redmi 2
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Prime
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (Qualcomm)
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Special Edition
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 MTK
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 2
- Xiaomi Redmi Note Prime
- Xiaomi Mi 2
- Xiaomi Mi 2S
- Xiaomi Mi 5
- Xiaomi Mi 5s
- Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus
- Xiaomi Redmi 3
- Xiaomi Redmi 3 Prime
- Xiaomi Redmi 3S
- Xiaomi Redmi 3S Prime
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Qualcomm)