The LG G3 is the reason why the G series smartphones became popular. The LG G3 is an old device now, yet, a lot of people still use that phone. When released, the phone came with Android 4.4.2 KitKat pre-installed. The LG G3 got an update to Android marshmallow in 2016. Yet, according to our search database, a lot of people are still searching for steps to update their LG G3 with Marshmallow.
Although, the Android nougat is running in the current market and Google has released the Android O developer preview for Nexus and Google devices. The marshmallow is still in demand for the phones which are running on Android Lollipop or previous versions. Since the official updates for the LG G3 stopped at Marshmallow, we can’t help you get the official android nougat based firmware for the LG G3.
According to stats, the Android 6.x Marshmallow OS which was released in the late 2015 still holds around 31% of the Android OS market share. The South-Korean company, LG started updating the LG G3 to Marshmallow in January 2016 and it continued till August 2016. Some people have still not updated their device to the latest firmware available, if you are one among them, then we suggest you to update your LG G3 to Marshmallow as soon as possible. Because, it not only brings in new features, but also makes your device even more secure.
Some people even after wanting to update aren’t able to update because the notification to update the device has disappeared. In case you are one among them, then you are at a right place, Let’s begin with steps to get your LG G3 updated to Marshmallow.
- 1 LG G3 Marshmallow Update
- 2 Bonus Tip: LG G3 Nougat Update via Custom ROM
LG G3 Marshmallow Update
Method 1: LG G3 Marshmallow update
This is a simple method which would allow you to update your device without putting in much efforts. We don’t take guarantee for this method to work, but if it does, then you’ll be able to get your LG G3 on Marshmallow with minimum efforts and save a lot of time.
Go to Settings > About > System Updates and check for updates
Before using this method, make sure that you have your device connected to a Good speed internet and the time and date settings are proper. This method would basically would check if an OTA update is available for the LG G3. If this works, then you’ll see that the OS will begin downloading and in case there are Marshmallow OTA updates available for your LG G3, then you’ll see a message similar to “Device is already running the latest update” or “No updates found”.
Method 2: LG Mobile Support Tool for updating to the latest firmware
The LG Mobile support is an official tool created by LG to help LG smartphone users manage their smartphones using a computer system. If you are not able to update using the Method 1, then this method is something you should try before going to method 3. Since, this has the files which will be coming from the official servers and all files would be from trusted source. Follow the below listed steps to install marshmallow on LG G3.
Requirements and Downloads
- LG G3 with Battery above 80%
- Windows PC
- Download LG Mobile Support Tool
- Download LG USB drivers (Enter device and you’ll get driver download link)
- Download the LG Mobile Support Tool and LG USB drivers.
- Install the LG USB Drivers on your Windows PC
- Connect your LG G3 to your PC
- Tap on Start Upgrade
Once you click on the start upgrade button, the tool will download and install the entire Marshmallow on your LG G3. During this process, your device might turn off once when the installation begins and once done with the installation (at 95%) your device will turn on and you’ll be notified that the device has been updated.
Method 3: Flashing the LG G3 Marshmallow firmware manually
Before you begin to install the Android Marshmallow update for LG G3, there are some things that need to be kept in mind. Let us take a look at the pre-requisites that you need to install the update.
- You must ensure that all the data that you have on your phone is safely backed up on your computer. There are times when during OS upgrades, data might get lost or wipe out. Ensure you have all your data backed up before you proceed.
- Following that, ensure that your phone has sufficient amount of battery. We would recommend that you have 100% battery or at least a minimum of 60% to ensure that the phone does not power off due to lack of battery while the update is being installed.
- Download and install the LG USB drivers from the LG website.
- In order to install Android Marshmallow update for LG G3, your phone needs to be on the latest version of the Android Lollipop OS.
LG G3 Marshmallow Installation Steps
- You will need to download and install a tool called the LG Flashtool. This will help you easily install the OS on your phone from your PC.
- Following that, download the official stock package of the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for LG G3 from the LG website.
- Open the LG Flash tool that you have just installed. Turn off your LG G3, get into the ‘Download Mode’ – this is accessed by pressing the volume up button while you connect your phone to your computer via the USB Cable. You will now notice a dialog box on your screen saying ‘Firmware Update’.
- Select the .kdz file in the LG Flash Tool. Select ‘Normal Flash’ if your phone is running the default/stock OS update. If your phone is running a custom ROM you will need to select ‘CSE Flash’.
- You will now be shown ‘Read Phone Information’. There, click on start to proceed. Some users might also be asked for admin permissions. Accept it, and continue.
- You will then need to select your country and language, there choose ‘different’ and ‘English’. Do NOT click on the smartphone upgrade check box. Ensure that it remains unticked, and click OK. This will now start the Android Marshmallow update for LG G3.
- After your progress reaches 100%, you may receive a message stating connection to the server failed. Do not worry, this is normal. Do NOT disconnect your phone yet. Wait for the COM writer to appear in green on your phone.
- Your phone will now be automatically rebooted. The entire process of installation of Android Marshmallow OS on your phone might take as many as 10 to 15 minutes. Ensure that you are following the instructions properly.
Bonus Tip: LG G3 Nougat Update via Custom ROM
Usually, it is quite strange for such an old smartphone to get new updates. The LG G3 is 3 years old. However, there have been various speculations that the phone might be getting the Android Nougat OS update as well. Reports from tech times claim that the update was spotted on a Geekbench listing in the October of last year. However, since then, there has been no movement on the same.
While the Android Nougat OS update is not available for the LG G3, the users who insist on installing a newer version of Android on their phone will have to rely on custom ROMs. The CyanogenMod 14 and Lineage OS 14.0 (Nougat) are available for the LG G3 which can help upgrade your smartphone. Here’s a guide which will help you flash Lineage OS on LG G3