For months there have been reports coming out on the gen-next Google Pixel smartphones. These will be the Google Pixel 2 and Pixel XL 2 (Or Pixel 2 XL if that’s how you prefer). While it was certain that these two phones are coming out, we weren’t really sure as to when the launch event would take place. This Google Event, which was earlier speculated to take place on the 5th of October, has now been confirmed for the 4th of October.
Google has been putting up billboards promoting this event of theirs. Interestingly, October 4th is the same date Google announced the Pixel and Pixel XL devices last year as well. Exactly one year after the launch of the Pixel and Pixel XL, Google plans to launch the Pixel 2 and Pixel XL 2 smartphones. However these aren’t the only announcements expected at this Google Event. Let us take a closer look at all that we expect from Google on the 4th of October:
What To Expect from the Google Event
The Google Event on the 4th October is expected to be about the Pixel 2 and Pixel XL 2. However, other announcements are also expected –
Google Pixel 2 and Pixel XL 2
This is the most obvious announcement at the Google Event. The Pixel 2 and Pixel XL 2 have been rumored for quite a while and a lot of information about the phones have leaked. Here’s what we know about the phones:
- Pixel 2 would be made by HTC while the Pixel XL 2 would be made by LG (As confirmed by FCC filings)
- Pixel 2 is expected to feature a regular sized display while Pixel XL 2 might feature a bezel-less display.
- The phones are both expected to run on a Snapdragon 835 and not a Snapdragon 836. Initial plan was to have them release with this processor, however Qualcomm’s delay resulted in change of plans.
- The Pixel 2 and Pixel XL 2 will both come out with single cameras, as opposed to most modern day flagship devices which feature dual cameras.
- The silver variant might be replaced by a grey variant this time.
- Both the phones would feature the Edge Sense technology from HTC and would come out with squeezable edges.
- Google Pixel 2 and Pixel XL 2 would come out with Google Lens built-in, which would be a feature of the Google Photos app which allows users to make use of the camera to identify things around them.
- The phones will run on the Android 8.0 Oreo OS and would be guaranteed to get an update till the Android Q OS.
Apart from these gen-next Pixel 2 smartphones, Google is also working on a new Google Home. This Google Home device will be smaller in size and can be compared to what Amazon Dot is to Amazon Echo. This will be a cheaper and more portable variant of the Google Home, though it might pack in fewer features.
Headphones with Google Assistant
Google is also expected to launch new headphones which will come with built-in Google Assistant support. Reportedly these might be made by Bose. The announcement will be officially made by Google at the Google Event on the 4th of October.
Google is also going to release a third ‘Pixel’ device though it would be a Chromebook this year. This would be the Google Chromebook Pixel, expected to be a convertible laptop-cum-tablet which would give the users a lot of high-end features. Here’s our complete report on the Chromebook Pixel 2017.
Finally, Google is also expected to talk about ARCore and their advancements in the world of AR technology, and possibly about the integration of Google Assistant support in more devices too. Stay tuned with us for more details from Google.