Motorola’s Moto X series is very well know to offer high-end smartphones in affordable prices. Moto X this year has begged many users already even if it is just launched some months ago. It is the best in market because of its sturdy hardware. Some custom ROMs have been developed especially for Moto X Play by the developers just to see how good they work with its hardware.
Well mostly the ROMs are officially updated from the company, but if you can’t wait more to update your phone here are list of fe ROMs that are exclusively available for Moto X Play. These are under development hence they are buggy and need improvements.
If you are planning to install a custom ROM you have to make sure that your phone has TWRP recovery installed in it. It is a MUST. Then after backing up all your data you can proceed.
Warning: In case you try to install any of the below mentioned custom ROMs and any error occurs, we are not responsible for that. So proceed at your own risk.
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based Custom ROMS for Moto X Play
- [ROM][5.1.1][AOSP] The Android Open Source Project
- [ROM][5.1.1][Lux][OFFICIAL]BlissPop v4.0.1[UNIFIED]
- [ROM][5.1.1][Lux]CrDroid Android
- [ROM][5.1][lux] PAC-Man ROM for Moto X Play[UNOFFICIAL]
- [XT1562] [Pac 5.1 r_1 unofficial build] [Pac Man ]
- [ROM][5.1.1_r24][LUX]RESURRECTION REMIX [5.5.7]
- [ROM][5.1.1_r18]Team-Radium 1.4[OFFICIAL]
- [ROM][lux][5.1.1] Cyanogenmod 12.1 – 2015 [UNIFIED]
- [ROM][lux] CyanogenMod for Moto X Play
Get Google Apps from here
- The above listed ROMs are ONLY FOR MOTO X PLAY. Do not install on any other devices.
- Make sure that your phone has TWRP recovery installed on it.
- All the device drivers must be installed on your PC to transfer the ROM and Google apps files from PC to your device.
- Make sure that phone is fully charged or at least 60% charged. Switching off of phone during the process might brick your device.
- Back up all your data using nandroid backup. The files present on your internal storage should be backed up just in case if anything goes wrong, it will keep all your data safe.
Steps to Install a Custom ROM on Moto X Play
- Download the required ROM and Google Apps from above mentioned links.
- Transfer both the zip files on your phone’s internal storage.
- Now reboot the phone in TWRP custom recovery mode by turning off your phone by pressing volume down and power keys simultaneously. If you see the TWRP logo that means that you have successfully booted your phone into the recovery mode.
- Now to backup your data(preferrably nandroid backup), tap on the TWRP and select System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and swipe right where appropriate, to backup.
- Now go to main menu and tap tap the wipe button and select Advanced Wipe. Then select Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache, swipe the confirmation button to backup.
- Go back to TWRP and browse for the ROM file that you transferred on your phone and install it by swiping the confirmation button. Then the ROM will be installed.
- Go back to the TWRP and search for the Google apps zip file and install it it by swiping the confirmation button. Swipe confirmation to start the process.
- Reboot your system when you have installed both the files are installed.
Now a new boot logo will appear which means that you have successfully installed ROM on your phone. In case you come across any problem try to factory reset your device and restore your previous ROM from backups.
Let us know in the comments below how this process worked for you and which ROM did you install and how well do you enjoy the new ROM on your Moto X Play.